What are the features and limitations of Canadian toll-free numbers?
- Toll-Free Numbers
- All of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) uses the same toll-free numbers.
- All Vonage Numbers reach all NANP countries.
- All of these toll-free numbers are listed under US Toll-Free on the Vonage API account dashboard.
- Toll-free numbers can deliver to all Canadian carriers.
- You will receive network delivery receipts instead of handset DLRs when sending to Canada.
- You will be charged for outbound and inbound SMS.
- All toll-free SMS in Canada should be verified. It is recommended that you go through a verified sender process for optimal delivery. Contact your account manager or submit a Support request for more information.
Restricted Campaigns for all Canadian Numbers
All Canadian number traffic adheres to the CWTA guidelines. For more information, see the CWTA Handbook.
- Auto Loans
- Credit Repair
- Debt Collection
- Debt Consolidation
- Deceptive Marketing
- Deceptive Work-from-Home Programs
- Emergency Notifications
- Federally Illegal Drugs
- Fraud or Scams
- Gambling or Sweepstakes
- Get Rich Quick Campaigns
- Lead Generation
- Mortgage Loans
- Multi-Level Marketing
- Pay Day Loans
- Profanity or Hate Speech
- Risk Investment Opportunities
- Stock Alerts
- Student Loans
Messages directed through Canadian operators shall not:
- Be related to narcotics, marijuana, steroids, or other controlled substances, drug paraphernalia, ammunition, firearms, adult-oriented content or services;
- Involve purchases of real property, annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card;
- Offer for sale items before the sender has control or possession of the item;
- Offer for sale traveler’s checks or money orders, currency exchanges or check cashing;
- Provide credit repair or debt settlement services;
- Where the program includes “psychic service," specifically inform recipients that they will win a lottery or any games/contests, or become bankrupt/poor/destitute; or
- Make specific health-related diagnosis or tell a message recipient that he/she or anyone they know will die or become terminally ill.
Behaviors that may cause blocking on Canadian toll-free numbers:
- Rotating toll-free Sender IDs
- Short URLs such as bit.lys
For more information, see the following articles: