All SMS sent to the US must originate from either a US pre-approved long number or short code that is associated with your Vonage API account. Alpha Sender IDs are not supported.
- Toll-Free is an approved A2P solution.
- Toll-Free number routes support handset delivery receipts, binary and unicode encoding, long or concatenated messaging on most carriers.*
- You will be charged for outbound and inbound SMS.
- The STOP keyword is handled at the carrier level. The end user is advised to reply UNSTOP if they would like to get messages again.
- Marketing programs on SMS enabled toll free numbers are allowed on a limited basis.
- T-Mobile classifies all toll free traffic as business related traffic or A2P therefore delivery rates may be lower than other networks.
- You can submit for a verified toll-free number.
- All COVID-19 messages must go through the toll-free verification process.
Behaviors that may cause blocking on Toll-Free:
- Identical content with domain of URLs changing
- Redirect URLs
- Rotating toll-free Sender IDs
- Short URLs (for example, bit.lys)
Restricted Campaigns for all US Numbers
All US Numbers traffic adheres to the CTIA guidelines. For more information, see the CTIA Handbook.
- Affiliate lead or commission generation
- Auto Loans
- Credit repair programs
- Debt consolidation and reduction
- Debt forgiveness
- Deceptive Marketing
- Financial offerings
- Fraud, Spam, and Phishing
- Get rich quick programs
- Health Insurance
- Illegal Substances (Cannabis)
- Investment opportunities
- Loans (exceptions may be considered for direct lenders only)
- SHAFT (sex, hate, alcohol, firearms, tobacco) content is strictly prohibited on all US number originators
- Tax relief programs
- Work from home programs
Other Features or Restrictions
Reach to Virtual Numbers
While Google Voice numbers are reachable through Vonage, we do not provide reach to other virtual number providers due to fraud prevention precautions. If you have any particular business case where you would like to be able to reach virtual numbers, submit a support request with details about your use case.
Social invites are problematic in the US if multiple human interaction steps are not involved. The individual user should be able to decide who to send, when to send, and what to say.
Donations can run on the network. However, must go through verification.
Gambling, casino, bingo should be age-gated and only promote content like events, locations, etc. and not actual gambling, casino, bingo.
*Unicode is not supported on US Cellular; they support ASCII.
**Vonage's 2FA and Alerts pre-approved short code APIs can reach Canada mobile phone numbers since we can identify the destination number and change the sender ID as needed (via a pool of US long codes).
For more information, see the following articles: