All SMS sent to the US must originate from either a US pre-approved long number, toll-free, 10 DLC or short code that is associated with your Vonage API account. Alpha Sender IDs are not supported.
Long Virtual Number (LVN) - Local Area Code Numbers
- LVN numbers are not an approved A2P solution.
- Limited numeric sender only.
- Network delivery receipts are supported; Carriers do not support delivery receipts.
- Binary and vCard are not supported.
- Long or concatenated SMS and unicode are supported (with the exception of US Cellular).
- Euro symbol (€) and some accented characters are not supported.
- Repetitive URLs and keywords may be blocked by carriers.
- All group text through an LVN are treated as MMS.*
Restricted Campaigns for all US Numbers
All US numbers traffic adheres to the CTIA guidelines. For more information see the CTIA Handbook.
- Affiliate lead or commission generation
- Auto Loans
- Credit repair programs
- Debt consolidation and reduction
- Debt forgiveness
- Deceptive Marketing
- Financial offerings
- Fraud, Spam, and Phishing
- Get rich quick programs
- Health Insurance
- Illegal Substances (Cannabis)
- Investment opportunities
- Loans (exceptions may be considered for direct lenders only)
- SHAFT (sex, hate, alcohol, firearms, tobacco) content is strictly prohibited on all US number originators
- Tax relief programs
- Work from home programs
Other Features or Restrictions
Reach to Virtual Numbers
While Google Voice numbers are reachable through Vonage, we do not provide reach to other virtual number providers due to fraud prevention precautions. If you have any particular business case where you would like to be able to reach virtual numbers, please contact our Support team with details about your use case.
Social invites are problematic in the US if multiple human interaction steps are not involved. The individual user should be able to decide who to send, when to send, and what to say.
AT&T and T-mobile no longer accept any SMS or MMS based campaign submissions that include any charitable donation element. Current “Text-To-Donate” campaigns will continue to be allowed. Campaign Submissions that include donation capabilities by being directed to a website for credit card donations or other methods, will not be approved.
Gambling, casino, bingo should be age-gated and only promote content like events, locations, etc. and not actual gambling, casino, bingo.
Unicode is not supported on US Cellular; they support ASCII.
*Vonage's 2FA and Alerts pre-approved short code APIs can reach Canada mobile phone numbers since we can identify the destination number and change the sender ID as needed (via a pool of US long codes).
For more information, see the following articles: