Changes to 8XX toll-free verification guidelines and requirements starting on October 1, 2022.
- Unverified Toll-Free Numbers Should Be Verified
- The messaging industry will now allow you to send traffic over unverified toll-free numbers (TFNs) in the U.S. if you send under a certain threshold. However, the following industry-wide thresholds are for messages sent over unverified toll-free numbers in the U.S. which are subject to change with advance notification:
- Daily Limit: 2,000 messages per day
- Weekly Limit: 12,000 messages per week
- Monthly Limit: 25,000 messages per month
All unverified number messages, regardless of being successfully sent or not, will count toward the daily, weekly and monthly volume limits if they are processed through the network.
- IMPORTANT: Vonage strongly recommends customers use this time to verify ALL TFNs to avoid the limits and/or blocking.
- The new messaging thresholds allow you to still send messages while helping to bring your highest volume senders into compliance.
- Customers will receive Vonage error code 16 for SMS or 1280 for MMS when threshold is exceeded.
- If you have unverified toll-free numbers that send messaging traffic over the new limits, submit these numbers for verification before October 1, 2022 starting with TFNs that send the most volume first. You may also verify your toll-free numbers after October 1.
- The verification process can take up to a month to complete. During this time, your phone numbers are moved into a ‘pending verification’ state that removes the messaging limits while your submission is reviewed.
- Be sure to include all required information to avoid delays in processing your verification.
- These limits will not be applicable when a toll-free number has been submitted for verification and is in a ‘pending state’ or already verified.
- All non-verified TFN traffic to Canada will be fully blocked by our provider as of October 1, 2022, and customers will receive Vonage error code 16 for SMS or 1280 for MMS.