What are number pools?
Number Pools are lists of numbers (LVNs) that a customer can leverage to send outbound SMS to their customers, where the system will automatically select the best number to use for each customer based on their country / location, network etc.
At Vonage, we allow some of our customers to create and manage number pools, via a self-service API or through support tickets. The number pools exist only at the account level.
- This service is currently in Beta phase. In order to be able to use the API, please reach out to your Account Manager so they can enable it for your account. Please note that the technical support available for this service is limited, our support SLAs do not apply.
- The numbers added to a pool are still subjected to local regulations (10DLC, AlphaIDs, etc.)
How can we configure number pools for a specific account?
Please check the following link to our developer portal on the section for number pools:
What are the features of our Number Pools service?
The fallback attribute defines what routes the pool should follow when delivering a message to a country for which the pool has no number.
The three options are:
- "Pool" → Any number from the pool will be used to send the message to this recipient
- "CustomFrom" → A custom Alphanumerical ID is displayed, instead of the number
- "Reject" → The message is rejected and will not be delivered
2. Localized Sender
The "localized_sender_preferred" boolean attribute, if set to TRUE, will ensure that the message originates from a number in the pool that is located in the same country as the recipient of that message.
3. Predictable Sender
The "predictable_sender_preferred" boolean attribute, if set to TRUE, will ensure that if a conversation is engaged, all the messages will be originating from the same number in the pool.
Our application sends a message to Paul via a number Pool. A number (A) is selected by the pool.
All the messages Paul will receive from our application will be originating from the same number (A). If the application allows, a conversation can be engaged where Paul can reply to those messages as well.
- Each API call to bulk add/remove numbers to a pool is limited to 50 numbers