Will I be charged for rejected messages?
- Outbound SMS
- Rejected Messages
Vonage will charge for any message placed for delivery regardless of its final delivery status.
By default, Vonage will accept requests to send SMS to all possible networks and charge you for the request at your usual rate for the country.
We don't charge if a message request is rejected by our platform, which might happen due to:
- Exceeding maximum throughput
- Incorrect API secret or key
- Insufficient credit in your account
- Missing required parameters (from, to, message body, API key or secret)
We will charge you if your message is accepted by our platform, even if the message fails to be delivered or is rejected by our carriers, for reasons like for example:
- Phone is unreachable
- Phone is on roaming service
- Invalid destination
- Destination number is no longer assigned to a user
- Exceeding maximum throughput for the local carrier
- Message was caught in spam filter, etc.
For networks where subscribers will usually not be able to receive SMS, for example, some landline or virtual networks, by default Vonage will not send these requests to any supplier. If you wish to override this for your account on particular networks, contact your account manager and ask them to manually configure your accounts so we attempt to deliver these messages irrespective of the usual network settings.