WhatsApp’s vision for business messaging is for businesses to create valuable connections with people. A singular WhatsApp Business Account that sends authentication messages on behalf of multiple end businesses creates a poor user and business experience.
- Users expect messages from a WhatsApp number that belongs to a unique business and respond negatively when they don’t. Despite this being common over SMS, WhatsApp and SMS are different channels with different user expectations. Data shows that users block at higher rates when they receive authentication messages from different businesses on the same phone number.
- Businesses experience more challenges with OTP on WhatsApp when users respond negatively. One block in reaction to one business impacts all businesses using the same phone number negatively and creates troubleshooting challenges.
- Multiple businesses with one WABA is in violation of the WhatsApp Business Terms of Service and WhatsApp Business Messaging Policy. When businesses are allowed to bypass WhatsApp’s policies, integrity safeguards and compliance checks, it could impact WhatsApp’s compliance obligations.
By January 15, 2024, every business on the WhatsApp Business Platform must have their own WABA and phone number, as WhatsApp will no longer allow one WABA and phone number to send messages on behalf of multiple businesses. This includes business entities who have multiple end businesses.
Does this apply to only Customers sending authentication messages?
This applies to all customers who must have a separate WhatsApp Business Account to represent each business. No numbers or accounts can be shared between multiple businesses including when an intermediate business handles messaging on behalf of multiple organisations.
What does it mean for Vonage Customers?
Most customers are expected to be using WhatsApp Business Accounts (WABAs) that represent themselves so this is unlikely to be a problem. Businesses that are sharing a WABA will need to take action well before the Jan 15, 2024 deadline.
What do I need to do if I have a business that is sharing a WABA?
Each business using WhatsApp will need to have their own WABA created and approved.
- Managed customers should contact their account manager who will help get them set up correctly
- Unmanaged customers will need to set up WhatsApp business accounts for each business entity directly on the Vonage Dashboard.