Businesses must register their brands & campaigns beforehand, in order to limit spam and other abuses. As a counterpart, carriers agreed to raise the throughput for those messages to levels more appropriate for business uses, according to the level of trust assigned to the business sending the messages.
10 DLC throughput rates are allocated based on:
Vetting Score - Customers are advised to go through a vetting process in most cases, to ensure the best throughputs are applied to their brands, as well as allowing them access to special campaign use cases.
- Determined by external partners of The Campaign Registry (TCR)*
- A vetting score from 0-100 is assigned to the brand
- Higher scores provide access to higher throughput and message limits
* The Campaign Registry is a third party company entrusted by US carriers to manage the registrations of brands & campaigns in order to be "10 DLC compliant."
Campaign Use Case - The type of message being sent (ie. customer support, marketing etc.)
- All messages sent to end users must be sent by a number linked to a 10DLC campaign, in line with the correct use case for that message
- Each campaign type has its own throughput and message limits per carrier
- Some campaign types have their throughput measured for each sender registered within the campaign; others are based on the sum of messages sent by all senders registered within that campaign (most use-cases)
AT&T and Verizon Wireless
AT&T applies 10 DLC limits based on the campaign type, and throughput is measured per-minute. Generally, if the throughput is exceeded, messages will be queued. To simplify the number of 10 DLC limits that our customers must take into account Vonage are applying the same limits to Verizon.
- TPM - Text (segments) per minute
- TPS - Text (segments) per second
Campaign Use Case
|Requires Vetting||Vetting Score||
2FA, Authentication &
|T||Low Volume Mixed||Standard||Unavailable||---||75||50|
Proxy Numbers, Bridge Services & Anonymisation
|Special||Required||---||60 per LVN||50|
|Q / K||Political & Elections||Special||Required||---||4,500||2,400|
Local Branches, Agents & Franchises
|Special||Required||---||60 per LVN||50 per LVN|
|X||Emergency Srv & Public Safety||Special||Required||---||4,500||2,400|
|Y||K-12 Education||Special||Required||---||720 per LVN||50|
|Unregistered||---||---||---||P2P rates + SPAM filters|
* AT&T Considered Campaigns for Marketing or Mixed use cases to be of class B, D or F; while other use cases are considered A, C or E.
**Russell 3000 companies are automatically assigned Message Class A/B
*** Pre-approval from Vonage required
T-Mobile and Sprint
T-Mobile and Sprint allocate throughput based on brand trust score. Rate limits are applied per brand, per day. Once the daily max limit has been reached, additional messages will fail to deliver. Rate limits reset the next calendar day at 12:00am, pacific US time.
|Brand Score Level||Vetting Type||Vetting Score||Daily Bucket Max|
|High Mid/Upper Mid||3rd Party||50-74||40k|
|Low Mid/Lower Mid||3rd Party||25-49||10k|
*Applies to brands who apply for a special business review or certain political and government agencies. External vetting is a pre-requisite.
Interop, Clearsky, US Cellular & All Other Carriers
Vonage has configured a shared rate limit for all other carriers set at 600 TPM, per number.
API Response Status (Error Codes)
|40||Rate limit surpassed||The SMS to this specific carrier has exceeded the max limits for your phone number or campaign. Retry after a minute.|
|41||Daily limit surpassed||The SMS to this specific carrier has exceeded the max number of messages per day for your phone number or brand. Wait until the next calendar day to resend.|
|16||Gateway Quota Exceeded||Generic Carrier Error, blocked due to exceeded quota|
Note: The throughput is based on the campaign level for AT&T, and on the brand level for T-mobile.