When attempting to verify your brand for 10 DLC with The Campaign Registry, brand verification does not succeed and you receive an error message on your Vonage API Dashboard that reads, "Brand details could not be verified."
10DLC regulation involves a third-party company called TCR (The Campaign Registry). The TCR has been entrusted by AT&T and T-Mobile to register the brands and campaigns that entities need to create in order to be able to send A2P traffic over 10 DLC. Verizon opted for a blanket surcharge to all messages without additional registration. When creating a brand and campaign on Vonage's API dashboard, the information you provide to us is relayed to the TCR for full 10 DLC compliance. The TCR applies a quick verification of the details provided by the requestor before communicating them to the carriers for a trust score to be determined for that individual brand.
All brands (except Sole Proprietors)
1. Understand Why Your Brand is Not Verified
Usually you will see the reason why your brand has not been verified on the Brand's edit page. The common verification issues are:
- Tax ID: Ensure that you provided the correct Tax ID and followed our guidelines when providing the Tax ID.
- Company Name: Ensure that you used the correct legal company name (as listed in the official federal or national records). Check the spelling for potential mistakes.
- Company Address: Verify that the address submitted corresponds to the information listed on the official records.
- Government Entity: If you create a brand as a government entity, your business must be listed as an official USA government entity or agency on the official records. Non US-based governmental entities must create a "Non-Profit" brand.
2. Re-Verify Your Brand
Note: You will be charged a $4 fee by The Campaign Registry each time a brand is edited and submitted for re-verification. This fee will be included in your monthly invoice.
- Log in to the Vonage API Dashboard.
- Correct the information previously submitted during the registration step and resubmit for verification.
- If you would like to apply for additional throughput or for a special use cases campaign, please make sure that the brand verification was successful, then you can request an External Vetting by selecting the External vetting tab when editing the brand.
3. Check if Your Brand is Verified
On either the Brands and campaigns overview page or the brand page (when editing) you will see the brand status. If it is red and specified as Unverified then you know it will require verification before being able to create campaigns and assign numbers.
If you are sure that the information you provided is correct and the brand cannot be verified, you must request an external vetting for your brand to get a manual review of the information by a vetting agency.
Sole Proprietor brands - Coming Soon
Starting from November 3rd, 2022, all Sole Proprietor brands will go through a two step verification process:
Stage 1 - Data Validation
When creating the brand, different information is required for Sole Proprietor brands:
- Company Name is not required
- EIN number and EIN issuing country are not authorised
- First & Last Name are required
- Vertical is optional
- An additional "Mobile Phone" number is required
The Campaign Registry (TCR) will run data validation checks to confirm that the phone numbers and physical address are valid USA or Canadian numbers / address. There are also checks to make sure the email, company name and other details are valid.
Finally, some details are checked for duplicates as the same email address, physical address, phone number, company name etc. can only create a certain number of Sole Proprietor brands across the industry.
If the brand fails the data validation, the brand cannot be created. Refer to the error returned by TCR for more details.
If the brand data validation succeeds, the brand can move to the second stage of the verification.
Stage 2 - OTP Verification
In this stage, the customer (Sole Proprietor brand owner) must verify that the "Mobile Phone" number they provided on the brand is valid.
We are working to implement those features on both the public APIs and on our Customer Dashboard.
Once the OTP verification is complete, the Sole Proprietor brand is verified and can create a Sole Proprietor campaign.
The country code to use is that of the ISO standard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2. Please note that US territories such as Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands have their own country code (PR and VI respectively).
For more information on handling issues with Brand verification, see the Brand verification guidelines article.