When attempting to connect to the Vonage SMPP server, I received error code 13.
- Error 13
The generic meaning of this error (0x0d - 13 - ESME_RBINDFAIL) is Bind Failed.
The error can occur due to connecting to an incorrect endpoint (mis-matched zone), due to the account not being SMPP-enabled, or due to bad credentials.
For mis-matched zone, see Which host and port do I use to connect to the Vonage SMPP server?
For accounts that are not SMPP enabled, submit a Support request.
For error due to bad credentials:
- Ensure the password (API Secret) meets the following requirements.
- Min 8 and max 10 characters (new accounts have 16 characters as default, so this may need your action)
- Alphanumeric Characters (a-z , A-Z, and 0-9) only
- Minimum 1 lower case character
- Minimum 1 upper case character
- Minimum 1 digit
- Restrict the API Secret to the number of password characters limited by the server/proxy in which the SMPP bind configurations are set up. For example, Kannel limits passwords to 8 characters, hence you must change the API secret to 8 characters.